Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dyeing to Knit




Happy New Year everyone! sorry I have been absent. Lots to do during the holidays

I started myself a new hobby and am loving it. I bought the dye kit that Knit Picks had had for a while. Three skeins of yarn in different weights and fiber plus three colors of powdered dye. I can't seem to find it right now, it might be some thing they discontinued but here is a link to the dye sets they have
http://knitting-yarn.knitpicks.com/search?p=Q&lbc=knitpicks&uid=544746193&ts=custom&w=Jacquards%20dye&af=&isort=score&method=and&view=grid

I had a blast with it. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be and it's neat to watch and see how the color is going to come out. I only tried one color at first, didn't want to overwhelm myself. But maybe another one tomorrow, we shall see. These are the pics of what I did, using the tutorial Knit Picks has on their site. They have several dying tips, use for kool aid, crock pot dyeing and a few others. Might have to try the crock pot one if I can get my hands on an old pot.

2 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog. The patterns are just what I ws looking for. Thanks so much, then I came across this. My mum loves dying her yarn. She can't do as much as she would like but she uses koolaid, vegetables and food colourings. She does it in the microwave. She only does small amounts as she makes socks and really loves the colors. She has a passion for colors, unlike me I am a bit scared of colors., afraid of getting it wrong. Your red is very daring but it looks fabulous. Just had to add my 'bit' as it brought back reminders. Thanks. Sue

    ReplyDelete